Monday, May 27, 2013
A Modified Leibster and A Brief Memorial Day Note
Here's an obligatory outfit post to start.
(Taken close-to-but-not-really-on Memorial Day)
And a hint at things to come. You'll be seeing a lot of fans this summer.
A Modified Liebster
Thanks to Debbie at I Love My Lemonade Life for nominating my blog for the Liebster award! It's always an honor when a blogger friend nominates you for a Liebster. It says they like what you do and want to encourage your efforts and introduce new readers to your blog. Doesn't get much better than that in terms of bloggy support. If you haven't met Debbie, you should. She's an artist at the positive approach to life, and her blog is always a treat to read!
Here are the questions Debbie devised for her nominees and a my answers to them :
1. What would be your super power if you could pick one?
Most days, my Highest Self would want to be able to manifest world peace and end world hunger. However, my Highest Self is on her annual imaginary vacation, so I'd like to be SuperLottoWoman and be able to magically predict winning lottery numbers.
2. Fill in the blank. I am a closet ________ fan.
I admit it... I'm a complete GIRL GENIUS fan. (Click on link for current page ....)
I love this "gaslamp fantasy" adventure comic strip by Phil and Kaja Foglio. You can go right to the beginning of this long-running web comic and follow the crazed adventures of Agatha Heterodyne . ( Just below the main mast head, click the black and gold button. That will take you to the very first episode from November 4th, 2002. Beware, my friends, this is addictive.)
3. If you knew the world was ending at the end of 2013, what would you do differently?
Everything. I'd probably do everything differently!!! Yikes ... what a question! Is it? Do you know something the rest of us don't know?
4. Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?
Of course I've done that. Common sense and elevator manufacturers say that it doesn't. However, I've found that it actually helps, sometimes. It makes me feel better, anyway.
5. What was your favorite toy as a kid?
I had an old fashioned, Victorian era china-doll replica named Anne. I miss her.
6. You’re in a time travel capsule.
Where are you going?
Somewhere I can rendezvous with The Doctor and Clara and convince them to let me tag along for a while.
7. Why did you start a blog?
So many reasons! But one of the most basic was to see if I'd enjoy blogging. I've found that I do.
8. Which Disney princess are you and why?
Merida, definitely. She's the most flawed of the Disney princesses. Like her, I'm prone to micromanaging my world, and that sometimes works out badly.
9. Morning person or night person?
I used to be a night person, but I'm trying to be more of a morning person.
10. Do you have a daily routine or do you take the day as it comes?
Some days are pretty regimented, but I have a luxurious amount of time to do what I will, when I will.
11. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you were?
Fifty something, in pretty good health, all things considered. That's based on how I feel, most days.
Here's where the modification comes in. A proper Liebster response would be to nominate eleven other bloggers to go through this process. Because I'm really bad at knowing who would enjoy a nomination or has the time and energy to come out and play when a nomination is tendered, I'll simply open the process and invite anyone who wishes participate.
If you are reading this, consider yourself nominated. Feel free to answer the following questions on your own blog, and make up questions of your own and post them for anyone who wishes to answer.
Or, to make it even easier, you can just post your answers at the bottom of this post!
My questions for you:
1. Summer's almost here ... STYLE-wise, what are you most looking forward to?
2. Conversely, what is your biggest summertime STYLE challenge?
3. Poolside cocktails or water bottle at the beach? (Do you sense a theme here?)
4. What was you favorite food when you were a kid?
5. What recent film do you most regret missing?
6. What's your favorite perfume?
7. Your spouse (or spousal equivalent or significant other) gives you a little Tiffany-blue gift box, tied up with white silk ribbon. What's in it? (Don't be afraid to dream a little!)
8. Who is your favorite character from any of the Harry Potter books?
9. What will you next pair of shoes look like? (Again, don't be afraid to dream.)
10. What was your favorite subject in school?
11. What was your least favorite subject in school?
A Brief Note on Memorial Day
I'm a bit of a military history buff. You wouldn't think it, would you? This particular national holiday always touches me deeply because of it's origins. In my mind, twentieth century military history began with World War I, the war that was supposed to end all wars. It's estimated that 10 million men lost their lives on the battlefield and another 20 million were wounded. World War II was even more horrific, followed by all the wars since. All this is difficult to think about, but I believe it's imperative that each generation learn and understand the history that precedes it.
Please pause a moment today to remember all those who gave everything in service.