Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Ketchup

It does NOT seem like almost a month since my last post, but it's that, just short a couple of days. Wow. During my absence, we've had thunderstorm-intense weather with lots of rain (we did need the rain) followed by some gray, chilly days and all that has been unsettling for tornado wary folks here. Dan and I spent a lot of these weeks annoyed and inconvenienced by March Madness nonsense and dealt with customers staying at home because of tax time (an annual non-treat for us, too.) We've spent an inordinately large chunk of the lost weeks reestablishing our stuff with a new primary health-care provider ... another ultimately good thing, that. 

 But my last nerve finally shredded last week because I was still afoot after the old-car debacle of some months ago, and Dan had to coax me down from the tree-tops with a promise of car shopping. At least I thought it was my last nerve, but I found I had still had some left to be frazzed during the compulsory shenanigans pulled by the local, good ol' boy used-car dealership in the process. I have no proper words for this experience, really. But I do have a decent vehicle that ought to be returned into my anxious arms tomorrow after a critical bit of repair is finally completed. So, that's really good and I can only rejoice that it's about freaking time at last !

So, that's some of what I've been doing. Oh, yes ... I almost forgot having to face the dreadful, cold squeezies of the Mammogram Monster. But the result was clean as a whistle, so more good news to report. Yay.

During all this day to day stuff, I did manage to take pleasure in the change of seasonal wardrobe and bring a few items from last month's list out to play! Look ... I managed photos as well!   



So nice to be able to jazz up old favorite combos with a fresh pair of kicks. Keds Double Ups, in this case, and I was delighted with the slightly thicker sole, matching red pin-stripe and red laces! Delightfully and magically, the red laces relieve some of the gunboatish quality that old-school tennis shoes sometimes have. I'm not crazy about how I look in large, flat RED shoes, so they've been worn since then with rolled up BFs, sloppy T shirts and my coolest sunnies. They work better in that context on a short girl, I think, and make a trip to the grocery store a little more fun.



 I wore this on a trip to town on one of those thunderstormy days and tried a nude shoe where I might have worn a bolder color. The otherwise uninteresting and matronly top worked pretty well with pale coat and shoes and a mid-blue pair of skinnies.   I always get compliments when I wear this coat, and I like that it makes a faint swishing noise when I walk. Nice to get one more time to wear it before it gets too hot.

I always go after handbags and shoes if I'm unsettled about everything else ... so here you see a pale pink, white and nude one from Call it Spring (JCPenny) with my favorite rose gold-tone accents.




I couldn't make this photo do justice to the rich cognac color blocked with black in this Sorial tote. It's much better IRL, as are the cognac mules. I could really fall hard for these "straight leg skinnies" from Old Navy. They may be my new favorite jeans cut as they definitely remind me how elongating and curve-flattering a longer line can be.  I like this current iteration of the straight leg; it's like my old style, wider, straight leg stacking jeans married a pair of skinnies and had these!





Ah. That's better, closer to the real life color. Along with black and white, I'm seriously attracted to brown, blue and black combos in all the possible variations for this spring, so there's more to come.







I've been wanting these windowpane pixie pants, and got them at deep discount. Not as huge a pattern as the black and white plaid version I showed you not long ago, and closer to flattering, I think. I'm enjoying wearing fitted shirts like this one with a collar to pop, and the close-but-not-tight fit feels like a good thing. 

Speaking of shoes and bags to make me feel grounded; I love this chunky heeled and thick strapped pair (Steve Madden) and adorably cheap-and-trendy clearance bag from good ol' Charming Charlie ! I'll get the good out of it with all the black and white graphics that are appearing on my radar. Stay tuned.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

So.  That catches me up, and I'm off to check in (sooner, I hope, rather than later) with all the Glamazons and Glamoratti at the Lovely Patti's Visible Monday .  I need to see what you're all up to!


25 comments:

  1. PinkCheetahVintageApril 22, 2015 at 9:24 AM

    Looking good! Congrats on the clean mammo and new car!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of the bad times, hopefully spring has sprung and things are on the up.
    I had my second mammogram a few weeks ago, am i weird not to have felt a thing?
    Looking good in jeans and just about everything really! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been having a rough time lately too, so hopefully things will start looking up! Love all the outfits, especially the last one. You can't go wrong with black and white! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan! So lovely to see you, I've been thinking about you. I'm sorry to hear life's been challenging of late, but hopefully the new-to-you car and nothing-to-see-here mammogram result are indications that things are on the up.
    And you look chic and expensive and classy and gorgeous in all these outfits, but you are reveal your inner rock chick in denim - phhoaar! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello lovely, sorry to hear you've had a hard time (urhh, tax return!!!) and the mammogram monster was a cute description for something horrid. You too look unmatronly in the top you described as such- no!!! I love this melee of outfits, esp the black sleeveless shirt and grid trousers and the read combo is really stylish- like you're wearing a DJ!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have had a hurricane (called niclas) several weeks ago. Some people died or where hurt. No energie, no trains to come to work for days. Snow again.
    So I'm really happy to see you without socks and shirt-blouses without sleeves
    Have a good time
    Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Glenda, a lot of ladies in your environment will be quite jealous of you. You look terrific in all outfits. I would have made four posts of this. One outfit per post. But no, you just throw them all in in one go.
    I know the "hunger" for shoes and bags. It is a women's thing. Bags always fit. Shoes often too. They can make or break an outfit, so invest in them. You have done pretty well. I love all of them. Especially the pinkish/cream one and the brown/black one.
    As for the lace bit in your red/black outfit... no idea what you are talking about. Language problem? Or is there indeed no lace in either the shoes or your outfit? It is difficult to style sneakers when you are used to high heels , isn't it? I had the same problem a few posts back. Like you, I wore them differently from what I showed. More casual, like you.
    I thought you were going to tell us the car shopping experience too. But apparently it was so bad you literally had no words for it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that your car has arrived by now and is fine.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to see you back in the blog land Jan! I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your stylish ways! All great outfits that you've shared, I am so drawn to the outfit with the blush purse - it's such a great spring outfit.

    Alice

    www.happinessatmidlife.com



    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So great to see you! I kept expecting to read about "ketchup" and then I finally figured it out :)! I love all of your outfits, as usual, but was especially drawn to the red Keds. I'm loving the thicker soles of this year's sneakers too. Hope your weather improves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to see you back! We all have times when life gets a bit hectic or complicated, and things get on our nerves... But you look very smart here, in all of these outfits! But I think I'm a bit partial to the very classic and chic trench. But that's probably because I'm a trench addict...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pleased to see you back again, you have been missed. Hope business wise things are on the improve and that new to you car proves to be 100% reliable and those tornados give you a wide berth.Despite everything you managed to look so polished and stylish in each and every one of your photos with your usual outstanding shoes and bags.
    Here's hoping the rest of Spring and Summer bring only good times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From my short little trips to Arkansas, I can guarantee you are the talk of the town when you get out and about. So wonderful to see you again, my cute friend. And just look at you, posting four outfits all in one post. I'm just loving those red keds, seriously I would be prancing around in those puppies everyday. Yes, I would be wearing them with denim jeans, white jeans, skirts of every color. oh they are splendid. And I agree with Greetje, bags and shoes are a girlfriend best treat, they usually always fit the bill and add so much to an outfit. Your new soft pink one is simply marvelous and was stunning with your entire ensemble. See, nude heels are a wonderful item to have. Glad the sun is beginning to shine (in your heart as well as the weather). Hopefully your driving around in the car as I'm typing this and enjoying every minute. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The outfit with the nude shoes is absolutely fetching in its softness, and then your bolds are just as strong in the other direction. I love the window-pane pants. I'm glad you got photos.
    Why is it when we think we're down to the last frayed nerve, we suddenly sprout new ones? I'm relieved you're back on wheels by now. And soon May will be full-on spring with flowers and loads more hope for good things to come. Good to see you! I hope you did your tree-climbing in your fabulous red runners.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Missed you!
    Our styles are very different, but because of that I love your insights.
    The red shoes are fab, and not a boat in sight!
    and that brown and black tote is HUGE! xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  15. you look so good in all the pics. Loving that pink bag from jcpenney. I too had to take an unplanned hiatus from blogging while my real life went haywire. Glad life is returning to normal, and that you have maintained your sense of style through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look great, more than great actually in these ensembles! I love the black/red/KDU look so much.. it makes you look half my age! Dan is one lucky man :) Tell him I said that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a bunch of awesome outfits dear Jan! Your seasonal change was a great sucess bringing out such cute looks. My favorite is the black and red combi. I am glad you are back dear!
    Sabine xxx

    http://achtstundensindkeintag.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always you look fabulous!
    Absolutely love the pink bag - I just may
    have to own that immediately!
    You make it look easy to survive the wonky
    weather we are having here in the South!
    All the best, Mimi

    http://inmyprimetime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love everything you've worn here. I mean colour is always something I have to remember and nothing beats a modern classic trench! Chic and lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW, Jan! You look sharp in these outfits. I love them all...chic!!!


    xo,
    Janise

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many great looks Jan! I've been thinking of you recently. You probably did not hear, but Target is shutting down all their Canadian stores. And...you probably did hear...this spring, the Target collaboration was with Lily Pulitzer. And you probably guessed, Lily Pulitzer is a favourite designer of mine. I'm always inspired by the bright colours and easy silhouettes. {{{SIGH}}} I would have been so in a line-up at dawn outside my local Target channeling my inner Jan.....but it was not to be. There are only a few stores still open, and they have no new stock. Did you go to the sale this year?


    The peek at the 'uninteresting' top as me thinking otherwise. Must be how you've styled it, because I love that whole look, right down to the swish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Jan, so great to have you back! Been missing you and your fun posts. So glad all is finally coming together, of course the health being the most important, but all other points seem to be taken care of (at least in some way that works for you for now) and I am glad to have you back here. Lovely look with the Keds, so fresh and oh those elongating jeans! they suit you so well. The black and white pants are awesome, could never pull them off, but they suit you soooo well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely outfits Jan and reminds me of my cut-out dolls, where you can change their outfits! You are a living doll! You stand like a model! I love the windowpane pixie pants, so cute!

    Have a lovely weekend!
    ♥ carmen

    https://fashionableover50.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look so fantastic and I enjoyed scrolling down and seeing yet another great outfit! I can see why you get compliments when you wear that coat. It's absolutely perfect, but you also carry yourself with such style and sass that people are probably thinking how lucky the coat is that you chose to wear it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Northern mum down SouthMay 16, 2015 at 2:22 AM

    Lovely to see you in all your great outfits Jan and hope things have settled down even more since your post. Love the red Keds, I have a blue slip on pair of Keds and they are soooo comfortable xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are wonderful, so feel free to let me know you were here. I try to respond to every comment, and try to answer within a couple of days. Please note: comments are moderated to avoid spam, so don't panic if your comment doesn't show up right away.