Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Some Mules, Some Culottes and a Satchel Walk Into a Bar ....

... and although I can't come up with a punchline here, I was so cool and and happy wearing them on a very hot evening, I don't mind leaving that title-set-up flapping in the breeze without its punchline.


I found this pair of denim culottes (with the tags still on them!) while closet diving. I vaguely remember putting them in the "alterations needed" pile some years back, and although I don't remember what I was going to do with them, I slipped them right on and was as tickled as if they were a brand new purchase.  This flowy tunic is just one of a dozen shirts and tops I'll be able to wear with these. 

Whether the top I choose is shorter or longer, this silhouette just cries out to me for a dressy heel, so ... ta-daa! Meet my new black mules ... with a tiny, cushiony mini-platform for comfort and that extra height I never mind pretending to own.

When I first saw this little satchel, I didn't mind a bit that it had bright yellow panels on either side, with warm and cool beiges and some subtle black trim.  I love that it's a color interesting a lot of designers this season, but for me it's a problematic color to wear ... just like it seems to be for a lot of women. Seems like everyone and their giddy aunt is wearing it on a tote this year as a good solution, so this little bag seemed like a fun variation on the theme.



And since I'm loving yellow, blue and white together this summer ... ta-da Part 2!  I bring you an inky blue, rough denim shirt (with popped collar, of course) with my blue and white batik culottes.  A yellow belt, the new satchel and I'm set. 

These culottes were only recently a pair of long palazzo pants that I felt looked more like sister-wife-wear on me than a garment meant for traipsing lazily about on the cool tile floor of an Italian villa.  Snip-snip, hem-hem, and there we are.  I haven't seen any printed culottes here in South Fly Over yet, so that's a problem solved.

Nude, buttery-soft leather mules make me so happy with this outfit.  I love these.  In fact, this particular pair of shoes (which I have been looking for more than a couple of seasons!) have inspired me to make a serious effort to wear the shoes I love much more often than the ones I just like or seem merely practical at the moment.  If I got hit by a WalMart truck, I'd hate to croak knowing my especially-beloved shoes where not worn completely out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

At the very last minute as usual, I'm ducking just under the wire to attend the Season Finale of Patti's Visible Monday . Sincere thanks to you, Patty, for the wonderful past year... and I'll look forward to Fall even more than usual for the season premier of your brilliantly cast link-up!  Ahem.
Come on over to see the red-carpet looks at VM.


22 comments:

  1. Now aren't you just stylin'! You look great in both outfits and the shoes are awesome in each. Ah, Arkansas heat...your post makes me a bit nostalgic. We rarely have that kind of heat here, but then as we don't have air conditioning, that's so much the better I suppose. Good to "see" you again, lookin' so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti_NotDeadYetStyleJune 10, 2015 at 7:38 AM

    Love both these outfits, dear Jan. Closet diving is the way to shop! And I admire your ability to rock the heels - they do look fabulous with culottes. Thanks for sharing, and being such a terrific cast member xox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stylin' and Profilin' and I love those cullottes, the top and those SHOOZE!! Enjoy it all my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so envious of your ability to wear high heels. I'm sitting here resting my foot on ice trying to deal with plantar fasciitis. It will be only comfortable shoes for me for a while.


    I agree with Patti...closet diving is the best way to shop.


    Lovely to see you again!


    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. VersatilestylebytraceyJune 10, 2015 at 9:52 AM

    Looking wonderful in both! Yes, when you are height challenged wearing Culottes requires heels and my don't you have some fabulous ones! How creative to cut off the no good printed pants... And have to end with I love your unfinished title!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes .. I think you are right .. culottes do indeed need heels. The whole outfit looks fabulous and I love the pop of yellow in your hand bag :-)


    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to see you, Jan, and how GORGEOUS you look! I admire the culottes on you so much, I even started thinking what pants I can crop to make culottes for myself. :)) Love this bag, and both of your mules... urban chic at its best! Have a wonderful Summer, wear lots and lots of shoes you love! That is another inspiration that comes from your post - to wear what I love, and not just like. I think I'm moving this direction too. Hugs! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see you, Jan, and looking so good in those culottes. And all the better for finding them already in your wardrobe! I just found a couple of pairs of vintage ones in my charity shop, and am surprised by how much I like them.
    Wow, you do some serious heels, don't you?! I would struggle with the height and narrowness of those, but oh they do look so fab on you!
    Love yellow, I wear it and am fascinated that so many women seem to find it a problem. What do you all know that I don't? Tell! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. HappinessatmidlifeJune 11, 2015 at 12:34 AM

    So good to see you Jan! I have a pair of culottes from years ago and wore them about a month ago and still not sure I will be posting it because it did not look good on me. I think it has the hit the leg in the right spot or it will look off. You look beautiful in both of these outfits.

    Alice

    www.happinessatmidlife.com



    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love culottes myself and i'm a proud owner of a black one. You styled both of them nicely and I loved the idea of shortening pallatso pants to get one. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving your black and tan leather mules! Very chic. I agree with you, don't save your wonderful things for a special day, everyday should be special. Make sure to link up with SHOE AND TELL Fashion Link Up on Style Nudge today!

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your joke started out great! haha
    Cute summer pants. They're a great addition to your wardrobe. I love them in the fall with boots too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Highland FashionistaJune 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM

    I am seriously loving on your culottes look. you have NAILED the proportions, and those shoes are perfect. Good game!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful looks. I'm loving the dark denim on you. I need some!
    The yellow is a lovely touch and brightens and freshens the look.
    Your shoes are lovely stilts that I can only wonder at! Skillz!!
    Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pleased to see you, Jan and looking fabulous in those culottes .As usual you have uncovered some great footwear and a great bag. I too am envious of your ability to wear heels.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've missed you, my darling friend, and just look how adorable you look in your culottes. Sadly mine were given away years ago and its just not an item I think I'll run and purchase again. Although after seeing how fun and stylsih you have made them, maybe I need to rethink my train of thought. Love both your outfits for this post, and I agree it was screaming for heels (how long do you or can you wear those amazing heels?). Navy, white and a pop of yellow is also one of my favorites, perfect way to add the yellow. So glad to see your lovely self again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super fabulous as always Jan!! I'm not a fan of yellow...it looks pretty hideous on me. Rockin' it on the bag is definitely the way to go. I've missed you!!
    Debbie
    www.fashionfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both are fabulous outfits! You're making me re-think culottes now....and that little yellow bag is a great way to add a difficult-to-wear-but-happy-making color into the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are rocking the culottes. I can't do yellow, not because I don't like it but more because yellow doesn't seem to agree with my color. Nevertheless, I enjoy seeing it on others :) It's been a while since I last saw your post. Well, I haven't been super active myself. Summer never fail to bring me down.. I mean, it's 45 degrees outside!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love love love outfit number two! Why do I imagine you would not make a good sister-wife? If I am mistaken, please accept my sincerest apologies. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cute pants! I love the look of culottes, but my wide hips makes them unwearable! and the heels you are wearing in that first shot are to die for! as always you look so happy, i like that about you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love both these outfits on you Jan! You can wear culottes, not everyone looks this good in them. I used to wear boots when I wore culottes. Yellow, blue and white look so good together. I saw this post on Patti's last linkup for the season, but forgot to comment.

    ♥ carmen

    https://fashionableover50.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are wonderful, so feel free to let me know you were here. I try to respond to every comment, and try to answer within a couple of days. Please note: comments are moderated to avoid spam, so don't panic if your comment doesn't show up right away.